The Remuera Seminary and The Ladies’ College, Remuera (1880-1934)
Mrs Catherine Law and sister Miss Morton ” announce that they intend opening a Select School for the Board and Education of Young Ladies at Brighton Road.” ( now Bassett Road ).
- School opened to students in the 3rd Term.
- January 1882:
- ” Remuera Seminary” moved next to St Luke’s Church, Remuera Road.
- Located to upper corner of Portland Road & Westbury Crescent
- Built a large house for more suitable accommodation and tuition.
- September 1890:
- Renamed to ” Portland Road ( Remuera) Boarding and Day School for Ladies.”
- May 1891:
- Renamed to ” Girls’ College.”, Remuera.
- Mrs Sarah Ann Moore-Jones became Principal of the Girls’ College, role approximately 60 pupils, 10 being boarders.
- September 1895:
- Renamed to “The Ladies’ College, Remuera.”
- School relocated to Cleveland House, leased from Mr Edward Withy, set in 9 acres, with long curved driveway ( now Garden Road ), from Remuera Road.
- Renamed to ” The Ladies’ College and School of Music.”
- Mrs Moore-Jones purchased Cleveland House, grounds had been reduced to 7 acres.
- Mrs Moore-Jones retired from the active management of school, continued on by her 2 daughters Amy and Winifred Moore-Jones.
- Garden Road established ,being the former school driveway from Remuera Road.
- Renamed to “Cleveland House”, and takes in junior pupils, including boys.
- Mrs Sarah Ann Moore-Jones dies, 90 years old.
29 October 1929:
- Wall Street share market crash – start of the Great Depression.
- School shut down.
- School business wound up & finalised.
- Cleveland House sold & demolished.